Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11th in the Classroom

September 11th is a day we need to remember.  A day we cannot let be forgotten.  Unfortunately, many of the students we have in our classrooms, have no idea what happened that day.  It's challenging to find the perfect material to use in the classroom- but in my experience, students have SO many questions about this day.  They want to know why this happened, what has changed since, if this could happen again, and they have many misconceptions.  I mean, MANY misconceptions. 

A few years ago I stumbled across this great video by Nickelodeon News.  I had completely forgotten about it until my friend Mrs. Cahill e-mailed me about it! It is created for upper elementary kids and is very informative.  We watched it today but plan on re-watching it tomorrow after students have had a chance to chat more with their families and interview them about where they were when they heard about September 11th. 

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/nick-news-what-happened-the-true-story-of-september-11th-full-episode.html


 Every other video I found had to be edited to remove material that wasn't very appropriate for students.  But luckily I knew this video would be parent & principal approved. What other resources have you used in your classroom with success? 

2 comments:

  1. Today we watched the BrainPOP video on 9/11. I thought it was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea,

      I love that BrainPOP video! It does a great job as well. Thanks so much for sharing :)

      HAPPY FRIDAY!

      Cheers! Kelly Anne

      Delete