Friday, February 14, 2014

What's In Kelly's Bag? {Inferencing and ESL Lesson}

Inspired by the amazing Abby from The Inspired Apple, I used what I had in my Teacher Bag this week to do a quick little ESL lesson!  I absolutely loved doing this with my kiddos and I think what I loved the most was that it could easily be adapted to work with any age!  So I used it with my 1st grade class, my 3rd grade class, AND my 6th grade class!  Heart- swoon. 

I began by doing a little inferencing.  I asked my class to pick up my bag and make inferences on what I may have in there.  What does a teacher need?  What does an adult need?  WHY?  I charted their responses on the board. 

Then, I had one student at a time close their eyes and pull an item out.  Once they had an item, we would name it {vocabulary!!}, and then discuss why I needed it, while writing it up on the board. 
I chose to try and steer my younger kiddos toward infinities {to drink, to eat} but with my older guys I had them create sentences {You can use it when you get thirsty, You may get hungry before lunch and need a snack}.   This activity can literally take as long as you need it to.  You can have as many or as few items as you want! 

And why is the last thing in my bag "a rubber", you might ask?  Well, let's just say that British English and American English are a little different.  More coming on that in the next few weeks :) 

Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment